for chan

July 31, 2013

For those of you who don't know, my big sister Chan is a proud Airman (well Air woman) in the United States Air Force. Side note: She just picked up rank too! So proud of her! :) Anyhoo, Earlier this year she received orders to move to Korea. Shortly afterward I received this email - 

"Sister,
 Your mission should you choose to accept it, is to help your sister, turn this box of mine into a nice livable area for the next 10 months.  Only if you want to of course.  My style is kinda dark of course, I can put things on the wall, maybe posters or something blah.  Anything you think would work, that doesn't over do it of course... Call it a HOBO project cause I am helpless lol.  I have attached some pics of what there is to work with.  Let me know if you're interested. " 

Naturally I accepted and immediately got to work. What I could specify for her that would be comfortable, cost-conscious, and of course cool? This was definitely a challenge. Chan's aesthetic is very monochromatic, and as you know I LOVE COLOR. I managed to keep a restrained hand while still finding some things that truly make a dorm-like space cute and cozy. 
 
I began this mission with a myriad of textiles. After all, what better way to gather bedroom inspiration than to start with what's going on the bed? Here are the choices I presented to her.


She made her choice, and from there I got to work creating a scheme board for her space.


She loves maps and Maya Angelou, so I wanted to make them significant pieces in the design. I also made sure that I found pieces from websites that shipped internationally, or pieces I could easily pick up and ship to her. Below are a few inspirational images that I sent to my sister, along with the scheme board to better explain where I was going with all of this.


Via 1, 2, 3, 4, 5


I can't wait to see how she goes forward from this point!

2 comments

Do you want to make my day? Comments make me feel super special!