new baby, new master

April 21, 2011

So my Aunt and Uncle on my boo's side have entrusted me with the awesome task of helping them revamp their master bedroom. It just so happens that they are expecting their second child in the fall, so what better way to mentally prepare than with a nice, relaxing bedroom as treat? Naturally, I was more than excited to be asked to flex my interior design muscle! After a short browsing trip to some local hotspots (Homegoods, Target, etc.) I was able to get a grasp of what Sheryl and Drexel wanted - well mostly what Sheryl wanted, but I wanted to keep in mind that this design had to be as gender neutral as possible. Here are some of the things that we found for inspiration.


Sheryl was immediately drawn to orange and turquoise.Of course they are absolutely delightful together - not to mention that they are complementary colors.


She loved the warmth and color combination of this piece...


And the texture of this piece.


She was also really diggin' this pillow. Cute, I know. So I went home and really thought about it. I figured that if I could find a jumping off point that at least incorporated the color scheme that she wanted, then everything else could play off of it. Then I found this on the Target website.

Peaceful, soothing, and a great balance of masculine and feminine. Here's how I made it work.


Notice how I used the orange as the pop of color. Everything is completely accessible, and 100% budget friendly. Like the Greek key-inspired chest of drawers? Well that's a rast hack from the coolest diy chick I've ever seen - Bri! Check out her ridiculously awesome blog here (P.S. you ain't ready). I was definitely inspired by her color combination with the orange lamps, so when I saw it, it made me even more confident that the orange would play friendly with the soothing blue and green of the comforter. Everything else is a sprinkle of finds from IKEA, Target, Walmart, and CB2. I can't wait to see how it all comes together. Wish me luck!

1 comment

  1. Thanks for the mention gurl! I'm really digging those orange curtains and orange lamp. Good luck with the room!

    ReplyDelete

Do you want to make my day? Comments make me feel super special!