Skip to main content

image is everything

Who doesn't love a Whopper every now and then? Well, let me not lie, it's been a LONG time since the last time I had one - back in my college days! (Insert chuckle.) Anyway, I was so surprised to see the Burger King right next to my job on Northside Drive had been completely demolished. I was astonished of course because the first thing I thought was "Is McDonald's next door and Krystal's across the street really killing the infamous Whopper (or as my fiance likes to refer to it: beating b*tches down). Okay, flash forward to my drive home. As I passed it, I noticed a sign posted in front of The King's rubble "Future home of BK image", with a picture of a builder holding architectural plans. I had to get to the bottom of this.

But first, an advertisement for your amusement:


This was the first thing that turned up in my search. "Fill your desire for something long, juicy and flame broiled..." Yes, it's quite suggestive, but funny none the less. I say, why not make food advertisements funny? It all goes in (and out) the same way, so to me it's really not that serious. And just as you may have wondered, BK most certainly caught some heat for this advertisement. As for the coy ad executive that gave it the O.K. - give that guy a raise!

And while we're talking about clever advertisements, how about this one?

 



So for the premise: In large cities people have found these wallets laying on the street, park bench, etc. Clever marketing huh? You get a a wallet full of coupons to spend on BK goods! P.S. I love the license.

Okay, now I've got you hyped about going to BK, right? But how does all of this translate into the branding for its interiors? I did a little more digging, and the results may or may not astound you. To keep up with the Mc Cafe's that are popping up all over the place, BK had to do something...






Oh yes, ladies and gentleman, may I introduce the Whopper Bar. Complete with Whopper-istas (Hey, a nod to your favorite Starbucks employee) and get this  - you ain't even ready - you can actually get a BEER with your Whopper and Fries for $7.99, courtesy of Anheuser Busch and Miller! The first Whopper Bar debuted as a pilot in Orlando, and by golly gosh, it's catching on. You can customize your burger with 22 different toppings and have it made right before your very eyes! "Have it your way" just got a little more meaningful.

The color scheme? Red, black, and gunmetal -otherwise known as sexy. Combine that with the dollar menu and the fact that the Mc Donald's next to the one that will be built down from my job is extremely old and outdated, BK will definitely be doing the beating of ... well you get the point. No word as to whether this will be the exact design for our location, but hey, why not? A sexy new image and interior? What's not to love?

Comments

  1. Beer at BK?? Guess you can't order that through the drive-thru, huh? ;) Looks snazzy though. And I LOVE the wallet campaign!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Do you want to make my day? Comments make me feel super special!

Popular posts from this blog

sektion launch

Hey Folks! On February 2, 2015 IKEA launched its brand new kitchen range called Sektion. Almost a year prior to the launch, I was chosen as the interior designer to represent our Atlanta store at the US Service Office. Along with Kim, our Sektion sales leader, and Erin, our Visual Merchandising planner, we created a beautiful department that kitchen dreams are made of.  Here we are below sitting on the famous concrete Klippan sofa. These ladies were amazing to work with! 

While there, I collaborated with Common Store Planning to create the layout of each kitchen in our store. When I came back home, I had about 5 weeks to and create all of the IKEA roomsetting documentation, as well as all of the official installation drawings and contract documents for city permitting. Fast forward a year later and there are 19 new kitchens in our store! Wanna see? Here are the ones in the kitchens and dining department. 
Brokhult / Ringhult, Grevsta stainless steel 





This one has a butler's pantr…

dining with a docksta

So I have been totally debating whether or not I need this table in my life. Sure it's "an interpretation" of one of the most recognized tables in history, but at $149 can you really justify not having some Saarinen worship in your home?

With that being said, I asked some advice from my dining expert Eddie at work, and he told me the structural integrity of a table that comes in parts is only sound as the person who spends the time to construct it. In other words, no wobble worries if you do it right! I think the Docksta would be a great starter table. Let's see how people make this simple little "nod to greatness" look adorable.

 I love the idea of some fresh pillows in the dining chairs. You can change them out seasonally. A chic lighting fixture would give the table some sparkle too.

 Ha! There goes that Stockholm Rand (which I am still loving by the way).  The chair legs blend in so well with the rug, that you can't help but notice the table base.

Black a…

decorators show house

In January I was approached with the incredible opportunity to design a space for Atlanta's most prestigious residential showcase for designers -  The Atlanta Symphony's Decorators Show House and Gardens. This terrace level bonus room was presented to IKEA Atlanta, and my managers thought that it would be a great experience to further develop me as designer, project manager, and leader. And you know what, they could not have been more right! At 26, this experience has made my young career. To quote myself in a conversation with my manager Michael, this has been "the most challenging, frustrating, exhausting, amazing, and rewarding project that I have ever been apart of! This was definitely an opportunity of a lifetime."  
Below are some before photos when we viewed the space for the very first time, as well as a few photos that are just a few finishing touches away from being complete. The planning took about Two-and-a-half months, the construction took about thre…