making room

August 31, 2011

It's quite an understatement to say I've been putting a little thought into how I want to arrange our new apartment. I've been looking for new furniture, pinning endless possibilities on Pinterest, and of course sketching. Here's a sneak peak at the floor plan that I've been playing around with.




What I find most interesting about this move is that we will already have most of our furniture, whereas with our first place, we were committing to a space without owning anything. This layout is just a rough sketch, but it really helped me think logically about places for the things that we already own. Here's a breakdown:
  1. Just like our first place, we will be having two bedrooms and two baths. One bedroom will be used as an office. Also, I've always heard that having separate bathrooms can only help a marriage, and I must admit - so far, so good.
  2. Brandon will also have a walk-in closet this time around instead of closet with by-folding doors. Perhaps this will solve our 95% messy office situation. :)
  3. I'm thinking that we may end up extending our dining table if we have the space. We've never used the leaf because our current space worked so well with a circular dining table. Perhaps this place warrants the oval look.
  4. The floor plan depicts a bar off the kitchen, but to my knowledge it's just 2 or 3 inch overhang (at least it was in the model) so that's why there are no bar stools.
  5. Speaking of dining table, I have also been thinking about how I can spice up that dining nook. I'm thinking of an occasional table over the P.S. Cabinet with matching lamps, or perhaps placing some seating in the nook, and scooting the dining table up to create a cute banquette-type situation.
  6. We don't actually own a chaise lounge (it's always been a dream of mine) but I think it would be extra cute, especially since my boo likes to sit so close to the television when he plays video games. My only concern is that the seat height clears the remote sensor.
  7. Our bedroom is a touch smaller than the one that we currently have, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we won't feel claustrophobic around our dressers. I actually moved our full-length mirror to the hallway near the office to make room. I'm a little sad about it, but I'm sure it'll work out.
  8. As far as the kitchen runner, bar cart, stacked Kartell units, coffee table, and patio furniture go, consider those as future posts! :)

Post a Comment

Do you want to make my day? Comments make me feel super special!