cheap chic - art

July 11, 2011

Don't you just hate it when you find something really cute for the walls in your place, and the price tag is a little out of reach (or way out of reach)? So do I. A little while back, I was feeling the same way when I came across this art from CB2.



YES! I mean, who doesn't love a nice, affirmative statement? It's simple, bold, and modern. Just what I wanted for... well, to be honest, I didn't really know where I was going to put it, but I knew that I wanted it to come home with me. Then I saw that the price tag for just 3 letters was well over a $100 (on sale)! You know me, I just couldn't stand for that. So being the thrifty chick that I am, I took my booty right over to Hobby Lobby to make some magic happen.


Smaller that the original, but still awesome, I bought three 3-D cardboard letters for $2.48 each. Then I got the paint out and went to town. I used red acrylic paint that I picked up for about $5 which came with all 3 primary colors plus black and white.




Altogether it took about 3 coats, and flipping the 3-D letters over between drying put the project at somewhere around the hour mark for completion.


In the end, I had this - which turned out to be amazingly similar to the CB2 original in shape and color.





Right now it's chillin' on top of my Hallaryd artwork until I figure out the best place for it. Total project cost: Less than $15.00! So needless to say, I'm pretty happy with it.  P.S. Check out my almost finished chair. It'll have it's own post as soon as I get a top coat on it! Guess what color it'll be! Maybe I'll surprise you. Stay tuned!

Post a Comment

Do you want to make my day? Comments make me feel super special!