Powder Bath Makeover

June 18, 2020

Hi Everyone! It's been a while since the last time I created a blog post, and the whole world has changed drastically! I hope that all of you are safe, healthy, and taking things one day at a time. Truthfully the only thing that gets my mind off of the total disregard for Black human lives is to be creative. Now more than ever, we want our homes to be havens, a place where we feel safest in this world. 

With all of house-bound time that I've found on my hands, I've spent a lot of time thinking about the improvements I want to make to our home. Most recently I've been focusing on our bathrooms. Our home actually has 3-1/2 bathrooms (yeah we probably don't need four toilets between two people, but here we are) and only one of them is tolerable to me from a design stand point. 

Since we've moved into our place, I've gathered inspiration here and there, and let most spaces come together organically. However, now that I've lived with these spaces for some time (it was actually five years at the start of the quarantine) I now have a feel for what we need in order to make them function and look their best. Today I'm sharing the plans for our 1/2 bath. 







Check out the finished half bathroom here

Truth time - I've had this mirror for about two years. It was a impulse buy that I discovered new-in-the-box at West Elm for only $50. After I secured the mirror, I searched FOREVER for a decent sconce. I knew I wanted at least two bulbs because there isn't an overhead light in this space, but I needed it to be taller than the current one to take advantage of the 9 foot ceiling. I like the idea of using something vintage in the space, and a small Kilim rug would do just the trick. Above are just a few options that coordinate with the wallpaper, but I haven't quite decided which one I want quite yet. Of course I would be remiss if I did not mention the toilet paper... I mean, it's funny, and I don't feel bad about it. Let's just say that it will definitely be a conversation starter with guests. 

In such a tiny space, I thought it would be cool to have a chic design moment and apply a wallcovering on all four walls. I scoured the internet looking for a fun wallpaper that wasn't going to break the bank. Eventually I landed on the Reverie pattern by Albany in the purple colorway from Wallpaper Direct. It's only $59 for a double roll, and I only need four rolls for the space. Below is a sample!





Honestly I ordered about 5 different samples, but in the end, I had to go with the one that made me feel happiest (plus it didn't hurt that it was also my hubby's favorite). This one had just enough bold color and curiosities mixed into the pattern to keep things interesting. I'm looking forward to guests finding new items in the pattern every time they visit.

Design Tip: When figuring out the color scheme for a space, I like to find one piece of inspiration in which to build from. This can be a rug, pillow cover, patterned curtains, artwork, tile or in my case with the bathroom - a colorful wallpaper. From there, I selected a ceiling color (for a little unexpected pop), artwork, and a rug. Having a piece of inspiration that you love gives you guidance for selecting other pieces for the room that coordinate well together.


Our half bath is tiny - barely 36" wide! As you can see, I had to use a wide-angle lens just to photograph it. 




Right now the powder room isn't bad, just not as great as is could be! Everything feels extremely temporary, and I'm beyond ready to get rid of the builder's-grade sconce, mirror, and faucet.  We also need upgraded storage in this area, which will replace the Kartell Componibili-style storage that we have currently. I'm considering some bamboo under-the-sink shelving from IKEA that I would paint black like the background of the wallpaper. 



Here's a quick little sketch of the sink wall elevation. Just switching out a few key elements would make such a big difference!




I love the current artwork, but it was always a make-do solution, especially because I know of a better location in our home where it could really make an impact. 




The back wall is completely blank right now, and I think that the new wallpaper with a cheeky piece of art would be awesome. 

So what do you think? I would like to start this project soon! The next step is to see how much it would cost for a professional to hang this wallpaper because it's definitely not a project that I want to attempt on my own. Are there any stay-at-home makeover projects that you are working on or would like to tackle? Leave me a comment. I'd love to hear about it! Update: Check out the half bath reveal here


Post a Comment

Do you want to make my day? Comments make me feel super special!