Guestroom Bathroom Makeover Plans

August 17, 2020

Hey Folks, I'm back in the saddle to talk about my design plans for our guest bathroom. And yes, this makes two bathroom projects! If you missed the previous post about my plans for our powder room, check it out here.





Above is a scheme board for a cosmetic upgrade to our guest bathroom. First and foremost I want to make it a happy place to be by rolling some color onto the walls, and adding a fun shower curtain. I'm also considering an accent wall, but I'm still undecided on that front. What do you think? Our town home has a pretty open living space, and most areas bleed into the next. Therefore I think the bathrooms will be the only places where I'll be able to experiment with different paint and wall treatments, and not mess up the flow of adjacent areas. I'm also leaning towards black accessories in all of our bathrooms going forward, so the fixtures were a pretty easy choice, and blend well with the overall concept

I would replace the vanity fixture (unfortunately this is the only light source in the space so I needed clear globes), the mirror, faucet, and possibly the countertop this go-around if I can find an inexpensive remnant (though the countertop may have to wait). I am also contemplating on painting the sink cabinet because it's small enough to be a do-able DIY. I've seen lots of people on YouTube do it, so it can't be THAT hard, right?  Oh, and I can switch out the knobs for something gold to coordinate. Below is a quick sketch.



Prior to purchasing our home, I COULD NOT GET OVER the fact that we had fiberglass tubs with shower surrounds and acrylic sink tops in our bathrooms (especially because our former apartment in the city had tile, porcelain tubs, and granite). But over time, I guess I've realized that this is simply the reality for most people, and that eventually we can remodel the bathrooms to make them exactly what I want. In the mean time, I would like to do a makeover so that this space can look and feel well... designed. It was haphazardly put together from the beginning, and is totally not a reflection of the rest of our home. Currently, the bathroom is super blah and somehow felt even worse when I went to take photos of the space. 


I mean... it's not great.  There is no rhyme or reason to the color scheme. In the beginning I just found a shower curtain and matching rug in Target, hung up some extra cabinets for storage, and called it a day. It's bad. Don't @ me.  



On this side of the bathroom is where I would like to place the towel ladder. I could do hooks here (and based on size of the area that might just be optimal, however I really wanted to do something different, so I'd like to make hooks my plan B.

Oh, and can we talk about the area above the shower curtain? I really love the technique of installing the shower curtain rod near the ceiling, and using ball chain as an extension. This design detail will add much-needed visual height to the standard 72" curtain. 



Kristin from the Hunted Interior used a ceiling-mounted track system for her installation, but I am also considering a rod, much like the image below.



Emily Henderson used a rod to get a similar effect, and I LOVE the gold. I still need to make some decisions about the application, as well as rod and chain color. I'm leaning towards black to coordinate with the fixtures.
 


Moving right along... this is perhaps the worst part of the bathroom for me. These canvases were acquired on a trip to Charleston back in our newlywed days, and used to live in our former office. The canvases are so wonky that this photo actually makes them look better then they really are. Here I would do hooks for hand towels above the sink, and framed artwork (obviously nothing too precious due to the moisture) behind the door. 

So that's pretty much it! I'm sincerely hoping that this is something I can do myself as a fall project. I've already ordered the shower curtain and rug, so this makeover is DEFINITELY happening!  Do you have any house projects you're planning? I'd love to hear about it!


Post a Comment

Do you want to make my day? Comments make me feel super special!