working girl - R91

November 17, 2013

Finally! After all of this time, we are finally remodeling Children's IKEA!!!! During my extended stay in the office I was able to fully plan 5 new roomsettings for the department. First up for implementation was a nursery. Believe it or not, our store has been without a nursery roomsetting for years Which is such a missed opportunity when many of our visitors have babies with them, or are currently pregnant.

This implementation was actually quite personal because I actually had the opportunity to train one of our sales co-workers, on the ins and outs of being an interior designer in the store. It was a great learning experience for the both of us, and the room turned out to be one of the best Children's IKEA roomsettings that our store has ever had. Here's how it turned out.

 But first, let me refresh your memory, here's a sliver of what this room used to look like:


 And here's what it looks like now:


Because of the nature of our remodel (tear everything down and start fresh) I was able to make this space a couple of feet bigger in each direction The priority products in this particular room are the Children's IKEA storage system Stuva, and the Sundvik crib. I made the executive decision to add over and under cabinet lighting to the system using Format halogen, and Rationell LED lighting, and honestly it made a world of difference in a room full of black-brown furniture! Looks chic, right? 


My goal for the room was to create a sophisticated and somewhat gender-neutral nursery, but we just couldn't help ourselves when it came to buying clothes for the interior fittings, and furnishing the space with photographs. A baby boy definitely lives here. The royalty-free images are courtesy of my senior manager. They're photos of his incredibly cute kid!


I also wanted to keep the theme for the room very subtle by choosing our woodland motif for the textiles and soft toys.  Overall the space feels very cozy and bright. Just as a nursery should.


As you can see from behind the Strandmon chair in this photo, there's still lots of work to be done!


Would you believe me if I told you that De'Airra and I built and installed ALL of the furniture and lighting in this room? P.S. That  Stuva unit was a beast! :)  Also a big shout out goes to De'Airra, you are such a pleasure to work with, and I simply could not have done this without you! Oh, and as always, a big thanks goes to my team for all of their encouragement support! I'm totally ready to get down with the next room! Readers stay tuned!

Post a Comment

Do you want to make my day? Comments make me feel super special!