Hopefully the purchase of a super chic, loft town home in a hip neighborhood is in our near future. Until then, I've been trying my best to show our bedroom some design love without spending a lot of dough. Since our plan is to only be in our current place for seven more months, I've decided to implement some fresh, frugal changes.
So here's what it looks like now.
The overall intent is still the same, but I made a couple of tweaks so save some cash. First, I decided to forgo purchasing some new end tables and use two we already had. On my side I'm rocking a lime green side table I purchased from Target a few years ago from their back-to-college clearance sale for $4.98.
Underneath I have a little basket that use for small things like the cable remote, my Kindle, and iPod.
And instead of doing the matchy-matchy thing for Brandon's side, I used the Trollsta side table I'd been hoarding underneath our bed. (Hey I have furniture hoarding tendencies, what can I say?)
But then I realized that the space wasn't nearly as adequate as it needed to be to accommodate all of the things that my techie hubby brings to his bedside. Even though he liked the idea that the top was metal, and he could sit his drinks down without using a coaster, I wasn't completely convinced. So I ended up using another shelf-turned-bedside-table that I picked up on clearance for $19 at CB2.
A tray from our dining room helped holds his Kindle Fire HD, Roku remote, TV remote, iPod, and a reading light his books. The Tiki was a gift from Brandon's Granny. He keeps lots of little odds and ends in there, gift cards, change, etc.
Underneath are a few paper boxes that hold his various chargers and such. A small apothecary jar I got from Goodwill holds his ear buds.
I needed a place for the accoutrements that we'd been accumulating on our low dresser, so I decided to pick up a $15 Hyllis shelf and use it in the corner. Of course as lazy as I am I never mustered up the courage to finish sewing our Britten Nummer curtains (the bottom hem was still being held together with pins) so I decided to be daring and purchase a new pack Natvide curtains out of As-Is. Thankfully they graze the floor perfectly without having to rehang the curtain rod. I will say however that the hazy blue light they cast when they're closed is taking a little while to get used to.
For now the dresser is pretty much clear. My next project is to make inserts for the glass. I'm kinda over looking at clothes through the glass. I was thinking of cutting cardboard or poster board and wrapping them in fabric to place behind the glass panels. Here's the other side.
So for now, I'm content with our little makeover.