sew awesome

April 14, 2011

I've been searching high and low for a table to accommodate the new sewing machine that I got for Christmas. Truth be told, I haven't sewed a stitch on it because I was waiting to create the nice, little sewing nook that I had always envisioned of the corner of the sun room. Of course I could've just picked up something from work, but lately I've been craving something unique that I can truly make my own. Lo and behold while I was sifting through stuff at Goodwill, I came across a charming  flip top sewing table and a snazzy vintage chair.



Of course a pile of my crafting supplies were in the way, so I had to scoot them over to make room for my new find. Look! My sewing machine is finally out of the plastic! :) I got the table for $15.91 and the chair for $10.91, for a grand total of $28.70 with tax.


Besides an avacado mid century modern chair that I acquired from my grandmother (it's still chillin at my parent's house, but I have a nice place for it when it makes its way up here) these are the first vintage pieces I've ever owned. Of course both pieces need work, but I'm totally willing to put in some elbow grease. P.S. I can't wait to recover the seat of the chair with something bold and sweet!


Before I can start my sewing projects I have to figure out a crafty way to cover the hole from the old sewing machine that used to be attached to the table. The sooner I can figure out this conundrum, the sooner I can get to sewing.

Instead of re-staining the pieces, I would love to paint them fun colors in a high gloss finish. Initially I was thinking a different color for the table, chair, and my bookcase (which isn't actually vintage, but fairly new). I really didn't like the finish on the bookcase from the get go, but I've held on to it knowing that I could always paint it in the future. I was thinking three different colors for all three pieces. I wanted turquoise, orange, and yellow. Then I found this image...


And it pretty much confirmed my idea. Next order of business is to learn about the best paint and materials to get the job done. Any suggestions? Let me know! :)

Post a Comment

Do you want to make my day? Comments make me feel super special!